This classic vegan meatloaf is a hearty and delicious plant-based version of the traditional comfort food. Packed with protein-rich chickpeas, flavorful vegetables, and Trader Joe's vegan ground beef, this meatloaf is sure to satisfy your cravings. Topped with tangy BBQ sauce and baked to perfection, it's a crowd-pleasing dish that even non-vegans will love.
Ultimate comfort food made vegan! Good all year round but especially better during cold seasons.
This was inspired by my favorite vegan blog called Connoisseurus Veg on this site, and pairs well with this amazing sidedish recipe. Contextual, in-content links are far more valuable than a group listed at the bottom of the post.
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 package Trader Joe's vegan ground beef (or any brand you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
See recipe card for more details
Cut up produce, onions, celery and carrots.
Add in flour, Trader Joe’s ground meat substitute, tomato paste and bbq sauce in a blender.
Blend but not too smoothly and lay on a baking loaf pan with parchment paper and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Glaze with bbq sauce and bake for another 25 minutes.
Hint: Allow 10 minutes of cooling before slicing. Do not over blend to leave a little crumbly texture.
- If you don't have chickpeas, you can use any type of bean you prefer, such as black beans or kidney beans.
- Feel free to use any brand of vegan ground beef that you like or even make your own homemade version.
- While the celery and carrots add flavor and texture to the meatloaf, you can certainly omit them if you prefer.
- You can use any type of sauce you like, such as ketchup or a vegan Worcestershire sauce.
- Customize the seasonings to your taste. Add herbs like thyme or rosemary, or even spices like paprika or cumin for extra flavor.
- Add diced bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms to the mixture for added flavor and nutrition.
- Serve the meatloaf with a different sauce, such as a mushroom gravy or a tangy tomato sauce.
- Add chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, or flaxseeds for added texture and nutrition.
Use this loaf pan for optimal result!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply place a slice of meatloaf in the microwave or oven until warmed through. If you have frozen the meatloaf, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. The meatloaf can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly in foil or place it in an airtight container before freezing. To thaw, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Reheat as desired.
Use parchment paper to prevent sticking
A lot cooking time, minimum of 10 minutes
A: Yes, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or oats instead of regular breadcrumbs to make this recipe gluten-free.
A: Absolutely! This meatloaf freezes well, so you can enjoy it later. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in foil or place it in an airtight container before freezing.
A: Yes, you can prepare the meatloaf mixture ahead of time and refrigerate it until you're ready to bake it. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
A: Yes, you can omit the oil and sauté the vegetables in vegetable broth or water instead.
A: Yes, you can use a soy-free vegan ground beef substitute or even make your own using lentils or mushrooms.
A: Yes, you can omit the nuts or seeds and still enjoy a delicious meatloaf.
A: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different seasonings to suit your taste preferences.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
- - ½ cup BBQ sauce
- - 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- - 1 onion finely chopped
- - 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- - 2 carrots grated
- - 1 package Trader Joe's vegan ground beef or any brand you prefer
- - 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- - 1 teaspoon onion powder
- - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- - ½ cup flour
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until they are mostly broken down.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, grated carrots, vegan ground beef, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased loaf pan and press it down firmly to form a loaf shape.
- Bake for 30 mins. Spread the BBQ sauce evenly over the top of the meatloaf and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.