A lot can be done with this grain, one of my favorite is stewed then topped with your favorite cruciferous vegetable.
Stewed lentils with seared cauliflower is a delicious and healthy vegetarian dish that is perfect for a cozy dinner. The dish is made by cooking dried lentils in water until they are tender, then adding seared cauliflower florets and a flavorful blend of spices, including cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt, and black pepper. The dish is finished with a splash of lemon juice and fresh parsley, which adds a bright and fresh flavor to the dish. The lentils are hearty and filling, while the cauliflower adds a nice crunch and texture to the dish. This dish is perfect for a cold winter night, and it is sure to satisfy your hunger and warm you up from the inside out.
BENEFITS OF LENTILS
Lentils are a nutritious and healthy food that offer a range of health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of lentils:
- High in protein: Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, making them an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans.
- Rich in fiber: Lentils are high in fiber, which can help to improve digestion, lower cholesterol levels, and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Low in fat: Lentils are low in fat, making them a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Lentils are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, folate, and potassium.
- May help to reduce the risk of heart disease: Lentils have been shown to help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels and improving blood pressure.
- May help to improve gut health: The fiber in lentils can help to improve gut health by promoting the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
Overall, lentils are a nutritious and healthy food that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes.
BENEFITS OF CAULIFLOWER
Cauliflower is a nutritious and versatile vegetable that offers a range of health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of cauliflower:
- High in nutrients: Cauliflower is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium.
- Low in calories: Cauliflower is low in calories, making it a great choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight.
- Rich in antioxidants: Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against damage from free radicals.
- May help to reduce the risk of cancer: Some studies have suggested that the compounds in cauliflower may help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate cancer.
- May help to improve heart health: Cauliflower has been shown to help improve heart health by reducing inflammation and improving blood pressure.
- May help to improve digestion: The fiber in cauliflower can help to improve digestion and promote regular bowel movements.
Overall, cauliflower is a nutritious and healthy vegetable that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes.
Here’s a recipe card. Use it only as a guide and feel free to cook and create your way.
Lentils & Cauliflower
- 1 Cup lentils
- 1 Whole onion
- 1 Bulb garlic
- 1 Jar marinara
- ¼ Cup seasoning of choice
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Handful herbs you might have
- 1 Whole juice of lemon
- 1 Cup Veg stock or water
- Sauté aromatics till fragrant. Everything starts with onions and garlic, season as you go. Use whatever seasonings you might have, tomato paste would be a nice addition to this as well. it might be a spice mix that you are secretly working on. Throw in dried lentils, marinara & stock.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to simmer. Adjust texture and seasonings, if it gets too thick add some more liquid.
- Sear florets of cauliflower seasoning as you go. Develop that nice golden brown caramelization if possible. A nice cast iron pan does this really well.
- Assemble on a bowl and garnish with herbs. Maybe some vegan cheese too. ❤️