Creamy plant based spaghetti with a kick Gochujang.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
What inspired this
This dish is inspired by fusing Korean flavors of Gochujang and Italian spaghetti noodles. I love mixing flavors to come up with something new. In this dish we create a creamy velvety sauce flavored with the complex umami goodness of Gochujang.
What is Gochujang?
Gochujang is a sweet savory spicy paste made with glutenous rice. The fermentation process results an a very distinct flavor enhancer common to Korean Cooking.
Why this works?
Gochujang alone is very strong, but if mellowed down with creamy plant based milk, it totally becomes something else. The sweetness shines more and it really binds well as a pasta sauce. It also acts as a thickener for your creamy sauce.
- Spaghetti Noodles – you may use any noodle you have on hand. The more important thing is to get in the kitchen and start cooking.
- Onion –
- Garlic –
- Oatmilk – Choose a neutral plant-based milk
- Shiitake – these shiitakes are really hearty and flavorful, but feel free to use what you have on hand.
- Scallions – garnish with herbs available, using scallions leans in towards the more Asian flavor.
- Cook spaghetti noodles as directed in package. Run through cold water and toss in oil to avoid noodles sticking to each other.
- Make creamy Gochujang sauce by sautéing aromatics. When onions and garlic is sautéed enough, aromas filling up the kitchen. Throw in your shiitake mushrooms and continue to cook seasoning as you go.
- Add in oatmilk and Gochujang, keep stirring till fully combined. Be careful because Gochujang is really strong.
- Toss the noodles in the sauce and garnish with thinly sliced scallions.
Variations & Substitutions
You can use Ssamjang, Blackbean paste, miso, harissa, tomato paste, tahini. There are lots of pastes out there that blends well with non dairy milk. Feel free to experiment to hit that creamy savory spot. As for the noodles feel free to use any type of pasta. There are lots of quality low carb pastas out there so you will never run out of combinations. You can also use different types of mushrooms, Lion’s mane, King Trumpet and Oysters are one of my favorites.
- 16 Oz Spaghetti
- 1/2 Cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Piece Onion
- 1 Bulb Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Gochujang
- 2 Stalks Scallions
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 or 2 Cups Oat milk or any neutral tasting plant based milk
- Cook noodles as directed in package. Strain and set aside. Pro tip, to avoid noodles sticking together, run through cold water and toss in oil.
- Sauté aromatics in a separate pan. Add in shiitakes! Sauté till cooked. Add in oatmilk and Gochujang. Adjust taste, seasoning as you go.
- Toss noodles in sauce. And garnish with chopped scallions.