This easy scrumptious recipe will surely satisfy your craving. Even made better vegan, this uses minimal ingredients but high impact on flavor.
What is Tortang Talong?
Vegan tortang talong is a Filipino dish that is made with grilled eggplant (talong) that is dipped in a batter made from chickpea flour (besan) or vegan egg and then fried until golden brown. It is a vegan version of the traditional Filipino dish, which typically includes eggs in the batter. The eggplant is first grilled or roasted until the skin is charred and the flesh is soft, then peeled and flattened. The flattened eggplant is then dipped in the batter and fried until crispy. Vegan tortang talong is often served with a dipping sauce made from vinegar, soy sauce, and chili peppers. It is a popular dish in the Philippines and is often served as a main course or as a side dish.
What is Just Egg?
Just Egg is a plant-based egg substitute made by the food technology company Just, Inc. It is made from mung bean protein isolate and is designed to mimic the taste and texture of real eggs. Just Egg is vegan, gluten-free, and cholesterol-free, and is a good source of protein. It can be used in a variety of dishes that typically call for eggs, such as omelets, scrambled eggs, and quiches. Just Egg is also more sustainable than traditional eggs, as it requires less water and land to produce and generates fewer greenhouse gas emissions. It is available in liquid form and can be found in many grocery stores and restaurants that cater to plant-based diets.
There are many ways to modify this, maybe add some bits and pieces of mushrooms on your batter, maybe some beyond meat. Peppers and onions would be a nice addition too. Feel free to dig inside your fridge and come up with something new.
What you need
- Just Egg
- Olive oil
What you do
- Roast Eggplant on stove top or grill.
- Peel off skin and take some of the seeds out.
- In a bowl whisk some seasoning to Just Egg.
- Dip flattened eggplant in Just Egg Mixture.
- Pan fry in a non stick pan with olive oil.
- Serve with condiment of choice. I used Dijon and vegan Mayo on this one.
Vegan Tortang Talong
- 1 Pc eggplant
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Cup just egg
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice
- Grill eggplant on direct flame on a stovetop or grill.
- Peel skin off eggplant, remove seeds too if you please. Flatten.
- Season Just egg with seasoning on hand, maybe some garlic powder, salt & pepper or mushroom seasoning.
- Dip the flattened eggplant and sear on each side on a non stick pan with a little oil.