Creamy coconut milk infused with pesto. Chewy udon noodles and health benefits of kale. This dish is quick and easy you should definitely try!Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Why you will love this
Coconut milk is already creamy and a good liquid addition to any stewed dish you might cook. The flavor of pesto combined with coconut cream is irresistible. Sautéing Kale softens it and makes it more pleasurable to consume. Using udon instead of spaghetti provides a unique texture. Topped with some seared garden fresh tomatoes and you end up with an exquisite experience guaranteed to delight and surprise.
- Udon – A new way of cooking udon! break out of the traditional way of cooking this Japanese noodle and lets start fusing some flavors.
- Onion – Your pantry staple and you must be used to starting most of your dishes with these beautiful alliums.
- Celery – Sauté together with onions and garlic for that refreshing component.
- Kale – Sautéed together with aromatics brings more nutritional value to this dish.
- Coconut Milk – Rich and creamy, a velvety choice as a base for your soups and stews.
- Pesto – Use vegan pre-made if you are in the go!
- Cherry tomatoes – We will be searing this in high heat and flambéed with bourbon.
Complete steps are in the recipe card. Here sre photos of how i cooked it.
- Cook Udon.
- Make sauce by prepping sauteeing aromatics, add kale and coconut milk.
- season to taste, you may use mushroom powder or vegan poultry seasoning. Pink salt too!
- Toss cooked udon and drizzle dome pesto
- in a separate pan sear tomatoes in high heat and flambé with bourbon. lay on top of the dish
- You may use spinach, collard greens or Boc Choy.
- You may use buckwheat soba instead of udon.
- You may saute mirepoix as aromatics, or sofrito as well.
- Add mushrooms for meatiness instead of the charred tomatoes.
- These are merely guidelines and feel free to use your own creativity to come up with something new.
Pesto Coconut Udon
- 1 Onion
- 16 oz Udon
- 8 oz Kale
- 1/2 cup Celery
- drizzle Olive Oil
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Pesto
- drizzle Teriyaki Sauce Bachans
- 1/2 cup Green Tomatoes
- Make Coconut simmered Vegetables. Slice up Kale, onions Celery. Sauté till soft. Season with salt and mushroom powder. Keep stirring till produce softens. Pour coconut milk, cover and turn the heat to low. Let it reduce and let the vegetables cook thoroughly.
- Cook Udon. This is a pack of 3 bundles, I used them all, cook in boiling water for 4 minutes and run through cold water. Toss and flavor your udon.
- Sear Tomatoes. These green tomatoes I got from the garden. Sautéing them in high heat and flambé with vinegar. We get some wok Hei flavor on this one. This will go on top of our dish.
- Assemble & Present. Check the fineness of your simmering vegetables. Adjust the seasoning, maybe some lemons, more salt? Olive oil? If it tastes right, lay your teriyaki tossed noodles, arrange seared tomatoes and dollop some pesto.