This traditional Korean dish is so easy to make and can be stylized according to what you have on hand. Glass noodles made from sweet potato are chewy and tasty!Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
What is Japchae
It’s a Korean stir fried noodle dish using sweet potato glass noodles. Commonly stir fried with mushrooms, julienned vegetables and spinach flavored with sugar and soy sauce. What was once a royal dish is now common all over the world. It got its name from Jap meaning mixed and chae meaning vegetables. Can be served warm or cold, popular during 1st birthdays, 16th birthdays and pot lucks due to ease of bulk preparation. Also tastes good after a day or two in the fridge. So what are you waiting for! Head on to the kitchen and give it a try!
I found these puffed tofu and decided to give it a try. I also used shiitakes, bell peppers and onions. I used oyster mushroom sauce instead of soy & sugar. Feel free julienne any vegetables you have on hand and mix it with your glass noodles. Make sure to season it up good and drizzle sesame oil on it too for extra flavor. The tricky part here is mixing the noodles, it is best to use hands to really get into the nitty gritty and get every noodle flavored.
What you need
- Sweet potato noodles
- Oyster mushroom sauce
- Bell Pepper
- Sesame oil
- Puffed Tofu
What you do
- Boil Sweet Potato noodles
- Sauté julienned vegetables, mushrooms, eggplant with aromatics
- Toss noodles puffed tofu and oyster mushroom sauce in
- Mix thoroughly using hands or tongs
- Finish with sesame oil and scallions
- 1 Pack sweet potato noodles
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 Pc eggplant small diced
- 1 Pc onion thinly sliced
- 1 Pc bell pepper julienned
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Pack puffed tofu
- 5 Tbsp Oyster mushrooms sauce you can use soy and sugar
- 5 Tbsp sesame oil
- Cook sweet potato for 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked. Strain, run through cold water and set aside.
- Sauté aromatics, add in vegetables and tofu, keep stirring till vegetables soften up a bit. Add mushroom sauce and maybe some water to avoid charring.
- Throw in noodles and mix thoroughly. You may mix it in a large bowl or pot. Using the hand will help a lot in getting the flavors thoroughly integrated.
- Garnish with sesame seeds if you have. I just use scallions and sesame oil and it turned out pretty good.
- Serve and enjoy.