French style mashed potatoes made vegan by using vegan butter and cheese. Silky, rich and smooth, it is the perfect side or can be satisfying on its own.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
What is Pommes Aligot?
Pommes Aligot is a dish originally from Aubrac France. A volcanic region of France where potatoes and gooey cheeses are prevalent. Cheese and potatoes are so good together, there is the tartiflettte, potato gratin, dauphinois, casseroles and so much more. As for Pommes Aligot, imagine combining mashed starchy overworked potatoes and stretchy fondue. We are going to try our best to emulate this dish using vegan cheese and butter.
Things to consider
- Skip the rinsing after cooking the potatoes, we do not want to wash off that extra starch.
- Use stretchy vegan cheese. I used vegan mozzarella and added a bit of nutritional yeast for extra cheesy taste.
- Leave the peel on for extra texture.
- Use a combination of garlic and garlic powder.
- Pair it with your favorite vegan meatballs, loaf, sausages or patties.
- Adjust texture by adding unsweetened plant milk.
How to make Pommes Aligot
Vegan Pommes Aligot
- 16 Oz Potatoes
- 1 Stick Vegan Butter
- 1 Bulb Garlic
- 8 Oz Vegan cheese
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Tbsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Cup Plant milk preferably unsweetened oat milk
- Scrub potatoes clean since we are not gonna peel them. Cut em up for speedy cooking. Throw in a pot of salted boiling water. Let cook till fork tender.
- Make Garlic butter cooking sliced garlic in a small pot of melted vegan butter. Watch out, you do not want brown butter and burnt garlic. Watch and control the fire. You may avoid browning the butter by adding some olive oil, it neutralizes the butters smoking point.
- Strain with out rinsing the potatoes. Put it back in a pot where you will mash them. Mash vigorously releasing the potatoes starch, then add your garlic butter, plant milk, vegan cheese, and seasonings of choice. Mix it really good.
- Serve in a warm bowl and enjoy with your favorite roasted vegetables or vegan meat.