This dish is made of velvety risoni, seared fennel & vegan bacon. Drizzle some infused olive oil and some herbs and you are good to go.
What's in this dish?
This is my first time cooking risoni properly. It helps rinsing the risoni along running cold water to stop the cooking process. If you skip this the orzo will turn too soft and mushy. Searing sliced fennel and vegan bakon (Thrilling Foods) matches perfectly with the perfectly cooked orzo. I had some dill on hand so I gave it a rough chop and it added a beautiful fragrance. I used vegan ranch by trader joe’s.
Grain/pasta + produce + protein + herb + sauce.
Breaking down the components of the dish helps a lot in making your own variation. Depending on what you have on hand, feel free to get creative.
What you need
- Vegan Bakon
- Boil risoni in a pot if boiling salted water with olive oil for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan sear sliced fennel and vegan bacon seasoning as you go.
- Strain and rinse risoni, in a pan melt some vegan butter and I happened to have vegan broth just to flavor the risoni.
- Garnish with dill and vegan ranch or what ever herb and sauce you have on hand.
Roasted Veg & Orzo
- 1 Bulb fennel
- 1 Pack vegan bacon
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 Oz rizoni
- 1 Handful dill
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ Cup broth
- boil orzo in a lot of oiling salted water with oil for 5 minutes. Rinse in running cold water. Set aside.
- in a non stick pan, sear fennel and vegan bacon mindfully seasoning as you go. Cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- melt vegan butter and a little vegan broth. I got this vegan mushroom broth from Two river mushrooms. Toss in risoni, mixing thoroughly.
- top your risoni with seared fennel and bacon. Garnish with fresh chopped herb and any sauce you might have on hand.