Perfectly softened eggplants paired with shiitake mushrooms simmering in coconut milk and miso. This fusion works so good together it can elevate any dish.
What makes this dish special
Have you tried mixing together miso and coconut milk? If not you better use this secret sauce to your next dish. The umami rich flavor of miso is balanced out by the creaminess of the coconut milk. I learned this one back in the day when I used to cook at a Japanese French fusion restaurant. Here’s another secret sauce that I learned (wasabi + coconut + nut butter) but that’s for another post. We got Aubergine, shiitakes, kale + miso & coconut milk a little sautéing and we are good to go. Oh we also got a big pot of brown rice.
What you need
- Coconut Milk
- Olive oil
- Onions & Garlic
What you do
- Sauté aromatics
- Add in sliced Eggplant & Shiitakes
- Sauté seasoning as you go until the veggies soften
- Add in miso and 1 can of coconut milk and 1 cup of water
- Simmer till sauce gets thick. You may also thicken with slurry.
- Serve on brown rice.
Miso Coconut Eggplant
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Piece eggplant
- 1 Cup shiitake
- 1 Cup kale
- 1 Can coconut milk
- 1 Cup veg stock or water
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 Piece onion
- Sauté aromatics, thinly sliced onions and garlic with olive oil.
- Add in sliced produce, in this case we have eggplant, kale and shiitakes. Give it a good sauté till they have soften seasoning as you go.
- Add in Miso & coconut milk + cup of water to the pan. Stir constantly till miso is fully dissolved and infused in the liquid. Adjust by adding water or stock if needed.
- let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve over noodles or your favorite grain.